A Christmas of bloodshed in Gaza amid raids within the occupied West Financial institution – right here the are main updates.
Right here’s how issues stand on Monday, December 25, 2023:
- An air raid on central Gaza’s Maghazi refugee camp on Sunday killed at the least 70 individuals, in accordance with the Palestinian Ministry of Well being. A number of houses within the space had been additionally flattened.
- United States-led maritime coalition will assist stabilise delivery within the Purple Sea regardless of Houthi assaults, however Egypt will “lose 30 % of its exhausting forex property from Suez Canal transit charges so long as that is closed”, David Des Roches, from the Nationwide Protection College in Washington, DC, informed Al Jazeera on Monday.
- Demonstrators in Rabat, Morocco, mobilised one of many largest pro-Palestine marches on Sunday, demanding an finish to Morocco’s diplomatic ties with Israel, reported Reuters information company.
Human impression and preventing
- An Israeli navy official informed The Wall Road Journal on Sunday that the military’s battle to take management of Khan Younis may take months due to Hamas’s guerrilla ways.
- United Nations particular rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territories, Francesca Albanese, mentioned on Sunday that “genocide is a course of, not a single act”, which the world is permitting in Gaza.
- In a single day raids throughout the occupied West Financial institution continued, together with in Bethlehem, Jenin and Nablus, in accordance with Al Jazeera correspondent Hamdah Salhut. In Jenin, there have been additionally heavy exchanges of fireside between Israeli troops and Palestinian resistance fighters.
- In an announcement launched on Sunday, Abu Obeida, the spokesperson for Hamas’s navy wing, the Qassam Brigades, claimed it killed at the least 48 Israeli troopers over the past 4 days.
- Israel’s navy claimed on Sunday that it recovered the our bodies of 5 captives from an underground tunnel community in northern Gaza.
- Pope Francis decried the “futile logic of battle” in a Christmas message posted to X on Sunday.
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed stories that america had satisfied Israel to not develop its navy exercise throughout a weekly cupboard assembly on Sunday, reported Reuters.
- Iran denied on Saturday US accusations that it was concerned in planning assaults by Yemen’s Tehran-aligned Houthi motion on business vessels in the Purple Sea, the semiofficial Mehr information company reported.